Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Up in smoke

I quit smoking about a year ago, both cigarettes and pot.

When it comes to quitting cigarettes, I really mean ceased smoking habitually, daily and frequently. I do continue to smoke socially (usually while intoxicated), while on holiday and during a particularly crapola day.

The amazing and lucky thing is I am usually able to confine the smoking to those circumstances so I can indeed be free from the constant pollution of tobacco smoke into my asthma-prone respiratory system. My lungs really don't like it and I actually have never been able to chain smoke unless I was high on ecstasy or coke.

"But you were never a committed smoker anyway." says Jody, a former workmate of mine that I used to sneak cigarette breaks with, who was also unaware of my affection for mary jane. Jody was a hardcore smoker, usually going through a pack and a half a day. This obviously made my 2 pack a week habit look amateurish.

Scientifically, tobacco cigarettes are supposed to be alot more addictive than pot. However, I don't linger and think about missing smoking cigarettes all that much. I do however miss smoking pot. ALOT.

In Jody's terminology, I was a committed (pot) smoker. I smoked weed almost continuously for 10 years every night and the reason I quit was because I could not find a reliable purveyor to procure it from - ha! It just became too much of a mindfuck trying to score, so I decided to put it to rest. And I miss it everyday like a lover who has moved out of town. If mary jane moved back to town tomorrow, we would probably be in bed again in a heartbeat.

And so it is perhaps better for me that my mary jane trade links remain closed for the time being while I stay almost-committed as a non-smoker, sucking on the odd cancer stick from time to time.

No comments: